The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Friday, November 5, 2010

What Happened?

How'd I miss diary entries for two days in a row? 

For one thing, I didn't workout on Wednesday, so I guess I had nothing to write about. I also didn't bring my laptop home from work, and the two home computers are so annoyingly bogged down I don't even use them anymore.  So that explains Wednesday.

But yesterday, I had a good run and plenty of opportunity, and yet I still didn't write.  I can't explain it.

So, catching up:  after a rest day -- 2nd one of the week, counting Monday's recovery from Sunday's long run -- I did a 10 mile pace run in the evening.  I planned to do the run as part of the regular Thursday night group run from the RBHS parking lot.  I got there early to put in one lap of the 5-mile loop before the rest of the crowd got there.  I ran it at around marathon pace, though I focused on HR rather than time/distance.  It's a hilly route in spots and so it's hard to keep HR to under 85%, but I managed to average 146 over the course and wound up with an average pace of 8:30, which is good enough for target goal marathon pace.

The air was super dry, what with the warm day and Santa Ana conditions.  I went through all my water during the short break while the group was assembling.  I felt good though.  A little stiffness in the ankle, and wasn't sure I was going to be up for half marathon pace.

Once I got going though, I felt strong enough to press.  It was growing dark by the time we started, and I bid farewell to the small group and pushed on up the Avenida Venusto hill.  I ran the route with a 7:45 pace and averaged 156 bpm.  10 miles in all, and not too bad.  Again, the ankle...and now top of foot on the opposite side of the ankle...is my only complaint.  But I'd call it an "ache" and not a "pain," which to me connotes something a little more serious. 

I'm debating whether or not to put in a short base run today.  If I don't, my 16 miles tomorrow will bring my weekly total to only 31-32 miles on the strength of 3 runs.  I don't think that's enough, though the 3 runs will have been quality key runs (repeats, pace and LSD runs).  I'd like to add just 5 or 6 easy-paced miles, if only on the treadmill.  I'm just not sure what's best for my foot.  I might have to confer with Mike. 

A week ago I was feeling really lean and strong.  I was closing in on 141 lbs, but I may let myself relax because I've allowed myself a few snacks and empty calories, so that now I feel like I've drifted up again...even though I know that fat pounds don't come and go that rapidly.  I've completely let my strength training go.  With a mini-taper for the Silver Strand on the 14th coming up, I'll have to make sure I do a good job of supplementing the drop in running workouts with some solid cross and strength training.

No comments: