The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Beginning Week 11 with Repeats

3 miles warmup (25 minutes; 8:15 pace, HRavg = 140)
5x repeats (15 minutes; HRavg = 156
  - 2 minute @ ~5K pace (6:30-6:40)
  - 1 minute recovery interval
5 minute walk/jog cool down

Total mileage about 5.4-5.5 miles in 45-47 minutes

Max HR on each repeat:
1) 162
2) 167
3) 167
4) 169
5) 169

Ran the reverse of my favorite 4S Ranch 3-mile loop, but ended at the community park where I used the perimeter walkway as my intervals track.  I measured out .3 mile from the kiddie playground, counter-clockwise, noting the .15 mile split where I should be at the 1-minute mark.  Doing that segment in 2 minutes amounts to about a 6:30 mile pace.

View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

Although I felt the Sunday 16+ miler didn't wear me down too much, it's always the day after the day after that I feel most drained from those long runs.  So even though yesterday was a no-run day, I was feeling a bit weary today.  Add on top of that the 3-miles prior, even if it was at a leisurely, aerobic pace, and those repeats were hard.  From the very first one I could tell it wasn't going to be a picnic.

Maybe if I were freshed and primed, I could sustain that pace for 3.1, but today, I would have been lucky to hold it for a mile.

Good workout though.  Hard, yes.  But I think these hard runs Mike and Clarence are giving me are paying dividends.  I'm feeling stronger.

The next key run is going to be a pace run of 10 miles, split between marathon goal pace and half marathon goal pace.  I'm going to shoot for 8:20 on the first 5 and 7:45 on the second.  That should be a good rehearsal for the Silver Strand.  I'll do that run on Thursday or Friday, depending on which day I can carve out 90 minutes during a cooler time of the day.

I'd kind of like to do my long run with the San Diego Runners' Club, which is planning 12 miles in Penasquitos Canyon on Saturday.  I've never been on those trails before.  I want to do a little more than that, but I could improvise to add the mileage.  Or actually the time, since it's the duration of the run I'm after, and not the mileage.

No comments: