The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Run Therapy

I completed the last "hard run" of the week early this morning, and now begin a sort of mini-taper to try to build some reserves for Sunday half marathon.  I finished 14 miles in just under 2 hours this morning, using the 8-minutes run + 30 seconds walk break rhythm that had been so successful for me a couple of weekends ago.  It wound up managing an 8:30 pace, which is about where my goal marathon pace is.  (I can't quite commit; somedays I'm thinking 8:20, other days I lean toward a more conservative 8:40 goal.) 

I fell off the 8-mins on/30 seconds off cycle during the 2nd half of the run when a few traffic lights disrupted my rhythm and I took a little too long to fill my water bottle at the park on the north end of 4S Ranch.  I switched more to around 15-16 minutes before giving myself the 30 second break. 

I also tried eating a Shot Block (one cube) every 3rd break.  I'm thinking that might be a good strategy to replace carbs at a trickle so that I don't deplete all my available stores by the 3 hour mark of the marathon, like I did last time.  Each cube is about 30 calories, and if each sleeve has six cubes, that's a sleeve and a half for the marathon.  With water, they go down well and I like them better than the gels. 

I skimped on water.  The air was cool so I didn't lose much to sweat until I was done.  I'll need more water on a warmer day, with a later start.  I've gotten pretty good at making sure I'm fully hydrated the night before and before starting out.

My ankle isn't as bad as it used to be, but it still bothers me.  I had a therapeutic massage this afternoon, and was surprised to see how much tighter and more knotted I was on my right side.  I think that indicates I'm compensating for the weakness of the left ankle.  I'll ice it up again tonight and keep doing the strengthening exercises.  With no more serious running between now and Sunday, it ought to have a few days to get a little better.  The Sauconey Guide 4 shoes are probably helping too.  I'm not going to race in them though.  I'll get back into my K-Swiss for that.

Racquetball with Robert today.  Split games.  I wasn't as mobile, thanks to the earlier run, but I just wore him out.  Not sure if I'll "Shred" tonight.  It's Survivor night, and after that I have some homework to do to prepare for a busy day at work tomorrow. 

(I have no idea why I titled this "Run Therapy."  I started out thinking I'd write something about how my running workouts are the highlight of my day and soothe the Real World worries that otherwise drag me down.  Wish I could run for a living.  Would anyone pay me to run?)

No comments: