The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Run: Stress Reliever

Did not run Sunday.  I was thinking about doing a light 30 minutes late in the new stability shoes, but I got drowsy earlier than I usually do.  I blame the time change.  I'm not starting to get sleepy at 10:30 and waking up at 5.  I really don't like this time of year.  Come on, Sol Invictus!

Crappy day at work today.  I can't seem to dig myself out of the backlog of tasks that I've let pile up.  Still, I forced myself to take time out at the end of the day before the commute home to hop on the treadmill and do my interval work.  I did the same workout as last week: 25 minutes or 3 miles warm up and then 5 repeats of 2 mins "on" and 1 min "off".  Closed out with a cool down jog.

Altogether, it took 50 minutes and I covered about 10km.  The repeats aren't too hard.  HR never rose above 165.  Last week I was hitting 169, though I was probably running a tad faster.  I think I could have managed 2-3 more repeats, but I'm not going to get macho this week and over extend myself.  I want to make sure I'm as fresh as possible on Sunday.

Not going to run tomorrow.  Got a luncheon at noon, so spin class is out. I'll probably swim and do a few laps of circuit training.

Wednesday's run has to be my "long run," which is going to be a little different since I normally associate long runs with the weekend.  But with the half marathon being on Sunday and not serving as my long run, I've got to punch the training run out midweek.  I intend on doing it in the morning and utilizing a walk strategy again to try to minimize the fatigue and also try to confirm that 8-minutes running with 30 seconds walk break is a good sequence for me.  I want to try and get whatever I can done in 2 hours.  15 miles would be just about right.

I did run today in the Saucony's.  They felt okay, actually.  More shoe than I typically like; too much heel.  But I do think they actually helped.  My ankle still felt the twinge toward the end of the run, and it was stiff afterwards.  But I put in some good stretching, did the wobble board for awhile when I got home, and just a little early let my foot sit in ice water for about 10 minutes.  I'm inclined to put the shoes to use on Wednesday and also for a base run on Friday.  I'll switch back to the K-Swiss for the half marathon and evaluate whether I think a stability shoe like these ProGrid Guides are really a benefit to my collapsed arch and ankle tendinopathy.

No comments: