The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Need to Get This Ankle Fixed

Opted for the counter-clockwise circuit of Del Sur with an added jaunt through north 4S Ranch.

View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

Nike+ did an okay job estimating the distance:













The first dip there was a 30-second walk break where I'd stashed a water bottle before the run.  I felt very good to that point.  From there, there's a long gradual climb and my left ankle started to bug me. It's nothing severe.  It just cycles through sequence of being okay to feeling weak, almost like a nerve is being pinched.

By the time I was around 10 miles, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go on.  The discomfort seemed like more than ankle pain, radiating above the ankle and affecting my gait.  I took a long (3-minute walking rest) at a new park on the north end of 4S Ranch, eating some Clif Shots and downing about 16 ozs of water.  It was a struggle to get going again with the ankle really feeling an on-again-off-again sharp pain.

With about 3 miles to go I hit another up grade I didn't expect, picked up the pace, and yet amazingly the ankle pain diminished.  It still felt weak, but not hurting.  I felt renewed.  I actually ran the final 3 miles quickly.  Cardio-wise, I felt great.  Legs (and abs) were weary by the end. The after effects on the ankle are not bad.  It's not stiff and doesn't feel injured.  It just seems to complain in the middle of the run when I'm running slowly.

I realized, in retrospect, that I only drank about 30 oz of water during the entire 2+ hours of running.  That's less than half of what I normally try to get, figuring on about 8-10 ozs every 15 minutes.  It wasn't hot though and I was pretty well hydrated before starting out.  It made the run pleasurable not having to worry about water, and I confirmed some good watering spots in north 4S Ranch for future reference.  

--------------------

Well...anyway...I went further than I thought I would, running for 2 hrs and 10 minutes.  And it was less strenuous than the 14-miler last weekend.  I specifically tried to increase my carb ratio this week and made a particular point of getting to bed early last night.  The mileage reduction for the week probably helped too.

I'll stop by Laces later when I head down to Allied Gardens to see Robert, and have Mike or Clarence put the electrodes to the ankle.  I'm hoping they'll give me my program for the week.  I'm now entering 13 weeks until the marathon. And 3 weeks until the Silver Strand 5K.

No comments: