The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Friday, October 22, 2010

5K Test Again

21:04

Just a breath away from 21 minutes.  I'm blaming yesterday's workout for sapping me just a tiny bit for today's attempt.  With a good mini-taper, I'm pretty sure sub-21 minutes is consistently achievable.  I've decided to register for the 5K at the Silver Strand.  That's 3 weeks from now.  With proper planning, I can be fresh and primed and snag that 21 minute goal before I turn 50.

Looking it up just now, running 5K in 21 minutes is equivalent to me running 5K in 18:22 at the age of 18, using the age-grading formula/calculator.  I never ran an 18:22 5K when I was 18.  I know I got into the 19s, but never broke 19:00.  So, by that measure, I'm running better than I did as a teenager. 

I haven't thrown in the towel on getting better.  But realistically, I'm probably getting close to my aerobic ceiling.  I may be able to improve by a few tens of seconds with enough training, but I think 20 minutes is just beyond my reach.  Maybe not.  I'm not going to say never.  After the marathon, that's what I'm going to focus on for the Carlsbad 5000.  The number of quality runners in that race, though, is such that even if I am able to get myself to a 20-minute 5K, I'll still be way down in the standings in the M50-54 division.  But I don't care. I'd consider it a great personal feat if I'm able to even sniff 20.

Right now, though?  I'm right on the cusp of 21.  It's painful, but getting better.

Attention turns to the "long run" now.  Unless I change my mind and join a group doing 12 miles around Mission Bay tomorrow morning, I'll do 13-14 somewhere close to home on Sunday.  I put "long" in quotes because 13-14 isn't really long.  That's more medium, but I'm trying to stay within my plan and not extend myself too long and too quickly like I did last time.  16+ miles is long, and that'll come soon enough.

No comments: