The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mile Repeats Fail

Recap of the last few days...

Friday - heavy hill intervals; very hard run
Saturday - no run; total rest
Sunday - long run of 14 miles at around marathon pace; hard at the end
Monday - didn't run, swam instead
Tuesday - light run, some leg strength work

So, I would have expected that I could handle a hard running workout today.

NOT!

I set out to do a Fartlek, as prescribed by "Coach" Mike, but instead decided to do some mile repeats on the treadmill.  I figured I would attempt 4 at goal 5K pace or better.  Yes, I'm training for the marathon, but I want to improve my speed and aerobic capacity at 5K distance too.  I'm running out of time if I want to break 21 minutes in the 5K before I turn 50.

I managed to do the first mile in 6:40, which is good.  But I was heaving (even though HR didn't seem to be all that bad) and my leg lifters were burning.  I took a whole 4 minutes to recover and get my wind back.  I started the 2nd repeat on a slightly reduced 6:45 pace, but could only hack it for a quarter.  I spent the rest of the mile gutting it out, fluctuating between 8 and 7-minute pace.  After another 4 minute rest, I did the 3rd at a modest 7:30 pace, ultimately finishing in 7:20.

I took a long time to get my energy back for the final mile.  I was almost fully recovered by the time I started the 4th repeat.  I attacked this one at 5K pace and was holding up until the final 200m when my iPod (which I wasn't listening to but just using as a Nike+ timer), fell off the little shelf on the treadmill, landed on the belt  and shot down the back of the treadmill belt.  I hit the emergency stop button, but I shouldn't have.  It was a rash reaction and I only had 30-40 seconds to go.  My iPod would've been fine on the ground for that short of a time.

But I hit the panic button and the workout was over.  Very disappointing.  I just didn't have "it" today.  I'm blaming the leg workout yesterday.  Until I adapt, I don't want my leg strength training recovery to fall on the same day as a hard run.

------

I started the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred program last night.  I'm a little shy about admitting that since it's obviously targeted toward women.  I rented the DVD from the library to see what the deal was.  It's not super hard.  Yet.  Did level I last night.  Level II tonight, and I'll keep cycling through the 3 levels to keep it interesting.

No comments: