The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Monday, October 18, 2010

Another Rest Day; Much Needed

Written Earlier

I'm sitting here at my desk with the work day winding down.  I've got about an hour and a half before I have to head home, and yet I still have not gotten my workout in.  I intentionally adjusted today away from being an easy recovery run to a no-run day because my body is just saying to give it a rest.  But I at least wanted to swim a little and get some exercise.  I'd need at least 45 minutes, counting changing and shower, so if I'm not over to the pool by 4:15, I guess this will be a true rest day.  I might just walk tonight and try to shed some of this lactic acid or whatever is so fatiguing.

The combination of Friday's intervals and Sunday's long run really did a number on me.  I'm not as sore as I would normally be, I don't think.  But I am tired.  Sleepy tired.  And yes, my ankles are sore, especially the left.  But not terribly so.  Just enough that if I tried to run on them today, I know I'd be weaker tomorrow.  I need the day of rest from the pounding.

I'm only at 35 miles/week and long run of 14.  At this point in the RnR training, I was at or above 40 miles and already knocking on 18-mile long runs.  I do believe I increased my mileage too aggressively last time, and didn't wind up training/running those long runs the way I would run the marathon.  This time, even though 14 miles isn't as long, I did run it with mimicking the marathon in mind, albeit at a slower pace.  But I avoided the rest breaks and pit stops that broke up my long runs of old.

And boy, running that 14-miler yesterday on the heels of the hill work on Friday really made the miles feel more like the 2nd half of the marathon rather than a regular half marathon.  Or, probably a better description would be a half marathon without a taper.  The final few miles were hard.

Later

Made it to the pool for some laps.  Did a straight 500 in 8 minutes.  Then tried to do some sprint intervals, 50s on the minute.  But I only got through 4 before I wimped out and switched games.  I did some stroke golf, and managed to work myself down to 31 strokes in 36 seconds.  Finished up with some relaxing buoy pulls, showered and drove home.

I'm so tired.  And yet it's almost midnight and I'm not in bed.  Why?

No comments: