The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Saturday, October 30, 2010

All Hallows Eve Eve

Chore day.  No workout.  It was a day to give the muscles and joints a rest, flushing out the lactic acid and filling up the glycogen stores. 

It rained this morning, as it's rained several mornings these past couple of weeks.  I'm hoping to catch a break tomorrow.  I'm going to run, rain or shine...but I sure would like it to shine (or at least be clear). 

Spent today clearing out and straightening up the garage, yet again.  Something stinks in there, and I'm afraid there's a rotting mouse or something dead hidden in a corner.  The smell is elusive and hard to locate. I didn't find anything while cleaning. 

I also -- finally -- found some inspiration and prepped for trick-or-treaters.  The last 4-5 years have established an expectation of setting up something spooky for Halloween.  It started simply, with me just lurking around the darkened house, peering out the windows with these lighted eyes and making alien sounds with a whistle-like instrument I had.  Then, I channeled the Blair Witch Project, and then the Ring (with the infamous 'Samara' character I had created on our front porch).  And last year, I constructed a scary diorama in our garage instead of having kids come up to our front door. 

This year, I was going to do some Poltergeist props and set up a static screen TV to serve as greeter, and I'd talk through the snowy screen.  But I just wasn't feeling it, and just tonight, constructed a little black-backed stage in our front entry way where I'll just bring out "Grim Reaper" again, but with a white face masquerade mask that's kinda freaky looking.  The key is the lighting, and I've been tinkering with spots, blacklights and strobes.  Even if I do nothing else, I'm happy with how it stands right now (and the success or failure will be determined by how many kids choose to pass our house by because it's too scary). But I might still add some sound effects and some small uplighting spots on some twiggy plants along the front sidewalk to add ambience.

Fun stuff.

Got to get to bed early tonight. I'm practicing my morning race routine and trying to establish a hydration, eating, sleeping and gear up/warm up habit pattern for long run days, and ultimate the race.

Oh!  And I gained entry into the Silver Strand half marathon on November 14th.  Yeah, I was going to run the 5K and try to get my sub-21 minute finish on an official course.  But an opportunity to get a bib to the sold out half marathon came up, so I thought about it and grabbed it.  It fits well with my training schedule and I plan to run it hard.  No loafing this time.  

No comments: