The "Run to 50" is complete. Blogging continues from this point on at Run to 51

Blog Archive

Friday, August 20, 2010

Kind of Down Lately

I've not been logging my workout sessions, and as often happens when I relax on my food journaling, I start to relax on the actual discipline it takes to stick to my regimen. 

I did not fit a workout on Wednesday.  That was an unplanned rest day, dictated by a busy work day.

Yesterday's workout was a little on the short side, partly because of time constraints but also because of a lack of energy.  I just didn't seem to have "it."  Normally, Thursdays are noon spin class, but I attended a VERT orientation meeting over the noon lunch hour.  I squeezed in time at the gym later in the afternoon, initially thinking I'd finally get a swim in.  Instead, I stayed on the floor, spending 20 minutes on the AMT machine, starting with a warm up and working my way up to 80-85%.  That felt good, but after a short recovery, I was intending on going through a circuit workout, starting with chin up - push up - sit up max exhaustion tests.  I knew right after the chin ups that this wasn't going to be my day.

I managed 13 reps on the bar, which I would have considered good a few weeks ago, but by now I thought I'd be at 15+.  I might be, in truth, but yesterday's oomph just wasn't there.  Same thing happened with the push ups.  I pumped out 45 easy, but then faded, stopping at 60.  I probably could have sweated out another dozen, but I felt defeated.  I was hoping for 80, but the way I felt at 60, I knew that wasn't going to happen.  And finally, sit ups?  80.  What the...?  I think I could have done 80 before I started the program.  I should be well over 100 by now. 

Yeah -- it wasn't a good test day.  I'm chalking it up to poor eating habits lately.  I didn't have a good breakfast, for one thing.  Nevertheless, I'm going to repeat Week 3 of the challenges rather than delude myself and think I'm ready for Week 4.

After the failure of the tests, I just didn't have the motivation to work the weights, so I decided to do a little jogging on the treadmill.  I vowed to stop if I felt any twinge in my calf at all.  I did 5 minutes easy and a loping 10:00 pace, and then sped up for 2 miles at 7:30.  Felt good.  No issues.  I spent my final 15 available minutes just getting in a good stretch. 

It wasn't the greatest gym session ever.  Far from it.  Just felt off.  I need to get my nutrition back on track.  And I really should get back into the pool.  It's been so long, I think I'm afraid to face my drop off in swim conditioning.  I've also got it in my head that I need a higher calorie burn for some reason, and swimming -- in terms of time efficiency -- isn't as much of a burner (unless I'm being pushed by a coach). 

I don't know what I'll do today.  Yet again, my available time is compressed (though I could be over there right now "Just Do(ing) It" rather than blogging about it).  I'm hoping to leave before noon and spending the rest of the day working from home.  Once the weekend starts, I have no more gym access.  And with the temporary cut back in running, that leaves few workout options for a 2-day stretch. 

I have a ton of yardwork needed in the backyard.  I suppose that will count for something. 

Annual physical is next week on Tuesday.  Come on, cholesterol....come on!

No comments: